Saturday 19 September 2009

DEPARTURES AND WEDDING BELLS


Saw my Auntie off this morning back to the land of big portions. She had her last taste of N.Ireland cuisine last night. Fish N' Chips. She said goodbye to my dad and I deliberately did not watch as it was a very private moment for both of them. It may well be the last time she See's him. I don't have a sister and I am not even sure how they feel about each other. All I know is when my Dad's brother died and his mother 3 months later, my Aunt relied on him as the older brother for support. Mum said he was quite teary. I've only ever seen him cry once and that was when our dog was put down.
It was good having her here for my mum. She had a shopping companion and enjoyed having someone to cook for. I'm not sure I made the best impression by condemning American foreign policy and not holding back at that. Americans just allow themselves to be brainwashed. I fear Iran/N.Korea less than I do a paranoid conservative government in America.
I made my Aunt up a DVD of videos and pics with a musical accompaniment. I hope she enjoys it.
Today I accompany my Mum to a wedding. The Bride is a close friend of the families, and I used to babysit her. She is marrying a GAA neanderthal. You know the type...You throw ball, me chase ball. No fire, burn. Burns it does.
I'm happy for her because she is a beautiful young woman and very kind and considerate. She already has two kids the oldest 13 and everyone is really looking forward to seeing her finally hitched.
The wedding is in banjo country, Ballymena so its fairly easy to get to and even easier to escape from. I just hope I don't end up on a bus with the bride graduate style.
I remember my younger brothers wedding about 5 years ago. It was in Tipperary and in a beautiful setting. I left my speech to the last 5 minutes. I adlibed most of it. I was so nervous I had 2 brandies before the speech. The more I got into it tho and the more people responded the better it got. I was so relieved afterwards I was hugging complete strangers and thanking them for laughing. The next day my brother said to me...what the fuck have I done. They are still together but just about.
I won't know many of the people there and I cannot fake interest in GAA sports which bores me stupid.
I'm sure it will be eventfull.

3 comments:

  1. Apparently you DID enjoy the wedding. I'm sure you were a big hit with the bridesmaids! I love that you went with your Mum, your a good son, I'm sure she appreciated it.Erin (daughter #2 ) accompanied me to my best friends wedding after her Dad n I broke up and it meant so much to me that she came with me.I can well imagine your speech at your brothers wedding was memorable, you are a naturally funny guy.Hpoe you had a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great. Normally I get quite bored and never like the food but it all went well. If Carlsberg did weddings this would be it. I love that name Erin. Its so poetic. There was a redhead there last night called Erin and she was wearing a green dress. But she never even noticed me and I did my full repetoir of dance moves. Apparently she has a boyfriend. The ironic thing is the girl I was with told my mum she liked me but shes quite young and maybe a little damaged from a recent break up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin IS a beautiful name which is why I chose it. Trust you to lust after the redhead.I think it was very gentlemanly of you not to take the rebound advantage of your young companion, mind you she could do worse, and probably will,so maybe you should rethink that strategy,you could be saving her from another horrendous mistake. Think on it lad!

    ReplyDelete