Sunday 20 September 2009

IF CARLSBERG DID WEDDINGS.....


Had a great time at the wedding. Mum took a long time getting ready so we missed the ceremony and turned up when the photos were being taken. No one noticed we were not there. I was raging at her because she has talked of nothing else for months.
It started a 1 and my plans to pace myself went out the window with my first drink. Most people brought their own booze, even the bride and groom. I kept expecting people to start brewing their own in the toilets. As for the toilets, I'm quite fussy about where I spend a penny and the Adair Arms urinals were very clean. They also played free form jazz over the speakers. That's the first time I have had a tinkle to that particular soundtrack. I would imagine Stephen Fry does his jobbies to Wagner and such.
Anyway I digress. The meal was superb. A combination of meats was accompanied by mash, garlic potatoes and various veg. I have never finished a meal at a wedding. You will find that most meals follow the old cliche of ham or beef with potatoes. Here we were served Beef, Ham and Chicken. And it was warm which is always a bonus.
Sweet was a another triumvirate of cheese cake, profiteroles and ice cream. Very nice.
The speeches were another matter. Seemingly everyone forgot their speeches on the day. However for something as important as this, you would think you would remember some of what you had written. The brides dad sounded like a drunk Sylvester Stallone and received some very stony looks from his wife. The best man sounded like a premiership footballer asked to describe the meaning of life. The bride was comical and lovely so I can't criticise. She is also a good friend and is very funny all of the time anyway. The bride had made various donations to charity and name checked them during her speech which I thought was a nice touch. She also was keeping her brides boquet for a friend that had passed away. Typical that she was thinking of someone else onher big day. It was teh most touching moment of the day.
The rest of the day was taken up with flirtatious banter, football talk and lots of bottled beer. For some reason if I stick to bottles I can drink more than if I just drink pints. I didn't realise that I was drinking alcohol free Becks until someone asked if I was still of the booze for lent. Boy was my face red.
The dancing started in earnest and I threw down moves not even in the handbook. I once got caught reading a book called..Dance seduction by my younger brother. But that's irrelevant. Lots of young ladies were circling me in a kind of dance panzer movement. Some guy asked me if I was gay. IF I hadn't been on my best behaviour I would have lamped him there and then but it raised a giggle. I had my eye on a redhead called Erin who wore a green dress. She showed no interest in me and typically I missed the signals coming from someone else. Redheads, I just can't help it.
So we got a taxi home and today I actually don't feel hungover. I never follow hangover advice, whether its suffer and be silent, fry, hair of the dog or just plain old water and paracetamol.
Overall I surprised myself on how much I mingled. I tend to be quite insular and feel more comfortable in small groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment