Tuesday 22 September 2009

FUNNY WOMEN AHOY!



Recently it has occured to me that most of the people I regularly converse with whether online or in real life are women. The people who are currently making me laugh are women.
A case in point is twitter. I follow and seem to be followed in return by witty, intelligent and interesting women. The men seem to compete against each other for attention and often bore me by talking about marketing strategies, themselves or gaming. Gaming is my pet hate. Although I own all the gaming consoles known to man, none of them have made their way out of their boxes. I just can't make myself 12 years old again. Ironically though, I love cartoons.



I am particularly falling in love with the comedy of Sarah Silverman who despite being a Jew is quite easy on the eye. She has her own show in America called The Sarah Silverman project. I have watched it a little but it is quite boring. No where she excels is in interviews and her stand up. In other words when she is being herself. She tweets infrequently but when she does it is always invariably hostile or down right dirty. I like that. I watched a biography on her and also I own her self produced DVD stand up show called..Jesus Was Magic. She tackles allot of taboo subjects and cleverly chastises other comedians for being PC while she makes herself out to be prejudiced. Her quip that black people don't tip and that chink is an acceptable term of abuse to use on pre watershed TV, is a fine example of this. Her strategy is therefore to offend as many people as possible. As the world of comedy is saturated by men, its not often a woman comes along and makes them all feel like they are playing second fiddle. She did do some shows in London I believe last year but she did not go down well with audiences and I remember her being quite out of her depth on 8 out of 10 cats, the panel show. But just watch her moment of genius at this years Emmy's when she wore a false mustache and shook her head when at the camera when another nominee for best comedy actress won an award. The fact that she did not sit there clapping like a seal and gurning through clenched teeth was my highlight of a brilliantly hosted show by Neil Patrick Harris.



The second woman on my list is British or British Iranian to be precise. I had seen her previously on panel shows including Have I Got News For You. She can also be found on twitter under her own name..Shappi Khorsandi. I sent her a message mocking her one dimensional angle, woman-Iranian-British-wife. She replied how sweet it was. I'm glad she got the joke and did not block me like other female comedians have. If you are quick you might be able to get her brilliant stand up on the BBC I Player when she appeared with Michael McIntyre the rather posh-cunty roly poly jester. I can only imagine how difficult it was for her to break through onto the stand up circuit. The only other Iranian comedian that I know of is a man, Omid Djalili. His stuff is good but its overly political. Shappi is silly, and pokes fun not just at herself and her religion but her family background, Londoners and men. If you follow her on twitter you would get the impression that she is a domestic goddess. However she is a lion in waiting so be careful.



My last recommendation is probably less well known because she is not actually a stand up but has appeared in various TV satires. She unlike the other two lives on twitter and uses it to make people laugh. I like her very much and enjoy winding her up. She occasionally replies but I would suspect only out of pity or exasperation that anything else. Her name is Emma Kennedy. On twitter she is EmmaK67. I love following her escapades. She is fowl mouthed and very difficult to piss off. Even when drunkenly called a milf. I could imagine myself living with her but being subjected to more than a few black eyes.

A last shout out goes out to the people who consistently make twitter a great place for me to visit. Wifeofscams, destiny2711, kristanovich, Claudia and katiemccullough. All good tweeters and funny women.

3 comments:

  1. Why thank yee Mister March. I've found Twitter to be a brilliant playground for all the funny people to get together and take the piss out of the retarded kids. But in honesty people, like your fine self, really make me laugh out loud. It's a pleasure to make funny with you. Take that comment as you wish.

    Kx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thought long and hard about this reply, Will, firstly, thank you for suggesting I am funny. I always thought so(dont know why the humerous sculptures I made in college were described as dark and disturbing by my tutors!)As far as I am aware,to date you have NOT published your blog on twitter. Why??
    Think on this, I will post this link, but if I continue, tweeps will think that a) I am you, b) I am your publisher/manager, c)I am your Mammy, d)I am conducting a full blown twitter seduction on your goodself(full of underlying sexual tension and innuendo) so as Mary(82) says to her poor wee hubby(83) on the annual event of his birthday blow job treat,*reaching to take her false gnashers out of the water glass on the bedside table* " here sweetie, its time you started doing this yourself!!" So untwist the pair you have, and publish. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Thanks to both of you. I enjoy reading your blogs to. I tend not to visit alot of blogs, theres nust too much going on. My brain can only take in so much info at one time.
    But thanks for the compliments.
    Take care,
    WILL.

    ReplyDelete