Wednesday 9 September 2009

I CAME. I SAW. I QUITE LIKED IT.



On Tuesday night I told Father Dicky Mc Touch that I wouldn't be able to perform my award winning Christian Puppet Show at the boys home and instead I went to the cinema with a friend. We decided on watching the new film from cinematic maverick and all round big chinned Italian twat Quentin Tarantino. Inglorious Basterds.
The last Tarantino film I seen was Kill Bill. I walked out of the cinema after 20 minutes. Talk about style over substance. It looked like an amateur music video.
I had lost faith in him and I believed that he had peaked with Jackie Brown. Until I seen Basterds and I have to say it was spectacular. Well written, with sparkling dialogue and terrific turns by the cast. It was a worthy successor to Pulp Fiction. I still remember watching PF at university and thinking I had seen the best film I would ever see in my life. It make me feel high and only after seeing it a further 3 times did i finally get what it was all about.
Basterds was just as good. The music was not instrusive and the plot made sense from the beginning. Added to that was some subtle humour and a career best performance from Brad Pitt. I like Brad but in every film I have seen him in there has been that moment, be it a look or a slurred word, that makes him look strictly amateurish. Here though he was the driving force behind the story. Christoph Waltz as The Jew Hunter was amazing to the point of being my all time favourite movie villain. Both of these actors deserve some sort of Oscar recognition.
The film had divided many since its release. They said it was violent but most of the violence is cartoonish and you couldn't help laughing at it.
So not a dull moment did it contain.
I had become a disillusioned believer but now I have forgiven QT and hope everyone will go to see this masterpiece. Now hows that for licking boots?

No comments:

Post a Comment